In 1945, before Myamar gained its independence , the supervisory office of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation was established to conduct the activities of social welfare and natural disaster prevention. Lately, after 1948, during the time of independence gained, the office was reorganized as the ministry of education, social welfare and resettlement. After that, the name of the office had changed as the ministry of education, relief and resettlement in 1952 and it had changed as the ministry of ethnic minority and relief and resettlement again in the same year to with the purpose of implementing the activities of natural disaster preparation, relief and resettlement and providing necesarry assistance. But in 1957, due to the political change, it had modied the name of the office as the ministry of Relief, Resettlement and National Reconciliation. In 1972, when the new administration took over, the office was reconstituted as Ministry of Social Welfare. At the beginning, there are two departments under the ministry as department of social welfare and department of relief and resettlement.
1992,the State Law and Order Restoration Council transformed the Ministry of Social Welfare into the Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement with three departments including The Fire Services department under its Notification 14/92 dated 19-02-1992.
On 6th November 2012, the Department of Fire Services was transferred to the Ministry of Home Affairs due to the nature of work and to be in accord with the contemporary situations, and so there are only two departments left under this ministry---the Social Welfare Department and Relief and Resettlement Department.
There are 265 Officer and 2876 Staff(Total 3141) under the Ministry.According to the need of the civil servants, the Ministry increased the office in Division Region and Training school for two departments.On 2015 March 31, the Ministry has 620 Officer and 4314 Staff (total 4934) were present.
Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement have 620 officials, 4314 staffs and total 4934 with the extension of the organization set up for the development of administrative mechanism on 1st April 2015.
On 10th March 2016, Department of Social Welfare extended its organization set up and the Ministry have the officials were 624, staffs were 4632 and total was 5256.
Both of two departments, Department of Social Welfare and Relief and Resettlement Department were extended their organization set up on 6th July 2017. So there were 1965 officials, 14614 staffs and the total was 16579.
On 31st January 2018, under the Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement, Department of Rehabilitation was established with the staffs from the existing two departments. Moreover the name of Relief and Resettlement Department was changed to Disaster Management Department.
So the following are the current organization set up of Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement,
No. Name Officer Staff Total
The following is the list of minsters who served from the beginning to
the minsters who are currently taking up office
1. U Ba Saw From 7th, Sept, 1953 To 27th, Feb, 1959
2. U Loon Baw From 27th, Feb, 1959 To 4th, Apr, 1960
3. U Ba Saw From 4th, Apr, 1960 To 2nd, Mar, 1962
4. Colonel Saw Myint From 5th, Mar, 1962 To 3rd, Dec, 1963
5. Colonel Mg Lwin From 3rd, Dec, 1963 To 24th, Mar, 1970
6. Brigadier General Tin Pe From 24th, Mar, 1970 To 14th,Nov, 1970
7. Brigadier General Thaung Dan From 14th, Nov, 1970 To 4th, Mar, 1974
8. U Van Khuu From 4th, Mar, 1974 To 3rd, Mar, 1978
9. U Man San Myat Shwe From 3rd, Mar, 1978 To 20th, Mar, 1979
10. U Mya Maung From 20th, Mar, 1979 To 28th, jan, 1980
11. Brigadier Khin Ohnn From 28th, Jan, 1980 To 16th, Oct, 1980
12. General Chit Hlaing From 16th, Oct, 1980 To 9th, Nov,1981
13. U Ohnn Kyaw From 9th, Nov, 1981 To 18th, Sept, 1988
14. Dy General Aung Ye Kyaw From 20th, Sept,1988 To 9th, Feb, 1989
15. Deputy General Tin Htun From 9th, Feb, 1989 To 19th, Feb, 1992
16. Brigadier General Thuang Myint From 19th, Feb, 1992 To 15th, Jun, 1995
17. General Soe Myint From 15th, June, 1995 To 15th, Jan, 1997
18. Brigadier General Pyae Sone From 15th, Jan, 1997 To 29th, Oct, 1999
19. General Sein Htwar From 29th, Oct, 1999 To 14th, May, 2006
20. General Maung Maung Swe From 15th, May, 2006 To 31st, Mar, 2011
21. U Aung Kyi From 31st, Mar, 2011 To 27th, August, 2012
22. Dr. Daw Myat Myat Ohn Khin From 7th, Sept,2012 To 31st, March , 2016
23. Dr.Win Myat Aye From 1st , April 2016 and Incumbent
The following is the list of deputy minsters who served from the beginning
to the those who are currently taking up office.
1. Colonel Van Khuu From 13th, May, 1953 To 3rd, Mar, 1978
2. U Khin Nyein From 3rd, Mar, 1978 To 17th, Jun, 1980
3. U Paw Khan Than From 17th, Jun, 1980 To 14th, Oct, 1983
4. U Kyaw Than From 14th, Oct, 1983 To 5th, Nov, 1985
5. U Paw Khan Than From 5th, Nov, 1985 To 17th, Feb, 1993
6. U Win Naing From 17th, Feb, 1993 To 16th, Nov, 1995
7. Brigader General Maung Kyi From 16th, Nov, 1995 To 10th, May, 2001
8. U Hlaing Win From 10th, May, 2001 To 25th, Aug, 2003
9. Brigader General Kyaw Myint From 25th, Aug, 2003 To 31st, Mar, 2011
10. U Phone Swe From 31st, Mar, 2011 To 31st, Mar,2016
11. Daw Su Su Hlaing From 27th, August, 2012 To 31st, Mar, 2016